Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Red Solo Cup Kinda Person

     If you're a country music fan, by now you have heard Toby Keith's most requested song ever, "Red Solo Cup." I like the song. I love its uptempo beat. It's one of those melodies that sticks in your head--you know, the one you're caught whistling all day long and you just can't erase it from your mind.
     I am an avid Toby Keith fan. I've been to a couple of his concerts and love his shows. But if you listen to this song or, even more, if you see the video, you know exactly what he's singing about. Hey, I attended a state university. I know what goes on outside of those hallowed halls. But let's take a closer look at this song between the lines.
     Toby sings, "Red Solo cup, I lift you up. Let's have a party." Later in the song he states, "Red Solo cup, you're not just a cup. You're my...you're my friend--lifelong. Thank you--for being my friend." Now with apologies to my friend, Jack Krebs, who doubles as an inspirational philosopher while also accepting a paycheck as a 4-H youth agent with the University of Wisconsin, let's break down this song. Jack actually inspired me to write this blog, though he doesn't know it, because of his insight into the lyrics.
     Jack says, "Share with your closest friend to tell them how much they mean to you. Lifelong goal--be the best red Solo cup that any one man can be." Pretty profound, huh? I'd like to stretch that thought a bit more. "Red Solo cup, I lift you up." If we're to be the 'best red Solo cup' that anyone, not just man, can be, we've got to be there lifting each other up. We've got to lift up strangers and friends alike. We've got to be "imitators of God" (Ephesians 5:1). We've got to be there through good times and bad, through prosperity and drought.
     The chorus continues, "Let's have a party." That means that joy is to be involved. Happiness must abound. There should be reason to celebrate. It doesn't have to be a monumental event to celebrate, it can be small baby steps, a seemingly minimal accomplishment. If we're a red Solo cup friend, we've got to bring joy into others' lives. We've got to help them see the bright side, we've got to have a party!
     "Do not be drunk with wine in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit" (Ephesians 5:18). The lyrics say, "I fill you up." What a vivid picture! The Spirit fills us up and we, in turn, are to fill up our friends, our enemies--everyone. Everyone is invited to the party!
     So I ask you--is today the day that you decide to become a red Solo cup kinda person?

1 comment:

  1. Jean...my girls have been singing that song for that last 10 days and it is branded in my brain. :) Can't wait to read your blog to them tonight!
    Charlotte Whittemore Butcher

    ReplyDelete